Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review: Quaker Chocolate Crunch Rice Cakes


In the bodybuilding community there a quite a few foods that are total cliches to eat, and rice cakes are one them. I try not to be the stereotypical "bro" so usually I stray away from these foods, but when I saw a chocolate flavored rice cake I was definitely intrigued. The sweet coating must automatically detract its place in the lifting community, right? That was my justification anyway and into the cart it went. As soon as I got home I tore through the flimsy plastic wrap that was sheathing my newest find, and grabbed a few to test out.



The chocolate coating isn't as thick as I would have liked and as you can see, bare rice cake shines through in a few areas. The chocolate flavor also doesn't permeate past the thin veil on the surface. It was in fact the classic "bro" rice cake, with just a sparse chocolate coating. It's not all bad, however, as there are actually mini chocolate chips tucked into the nooks and crannies of the rice cakes. When you get a bite that has a few of these it really intensifies the chocolate flavor and gives you the impression you are eating something far more decadent than you really are. Even in areas devoid of the chips, the flavor is still pretty good and beats the hell out of a plain rice cake. The real beauty of these, however, is when you begin to experiment with toppings. I had one with Biscoff spread, one with sunflower butter, and one with marshmallow fluff (sorry, these were all too delicious for me to wait around and snap pics of). Even just a thin layer of each of the respective spreads turned the rice cakes from "meh" to delicious.



As you probably know by now I also like to discuss the nutrition info in my reviews. It is extremely solid on this product clocking in at only 60 calories per cake. Even when I topped it with my spreads of choice they still clocked in around 100 calories each and tasted like they contained far more. Overall I would definitely recommend picking these up, either for light snacking to beat that chocolate craving, or to indulge a bit and make some delicious creations. If you come up with any other tasty things to put on top of these let me know in the comments section below.

Rating: 7/10 by themselves --> 9/10 when topped





No comments:

Post a Comment