Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: General Mills Trix Cereal


Ahhh, Trix cereal. Who hasn't tried these at some point in their life? Walking through the supermarket yesterday I noticed all of generals mills "kiddie cereals" were on sale for $1.99 per box, so I decided to take a trip down memory lane and pick up a few nostalgic favorites (also got Cinnamon toast crunch and Lucky charms. will inevitably review them too). I was a little surprised to see that Trix had changed from fun fruit shapes to standard sphere. When did this happen? These are now essentially wacky colored kix. I think as a kid half of the appeal of these was the shapes so needless to say I was a little disappointed off the bat. Not looking good so far, but I poured myself a bowl any way.   



The serving of 32g (pictured above) is surprisingly voluminous, which is always a nice touch for those of us who are "never full." I had it with 1/2 cup of skim milk which is my standard when eating cereal. At first bite the vaguely fruity artificial flavoring immediately brought me back to my younger days. It sparked memories of saturday mornings which were spent chowing down on cereal and watching cartoons in my PJs. That is one thing you have to love about branded products. No matter how much you change, they always stay the same. Throughout the bowl (which I ate voraciously I might add) the spherical morsels remained somewhat crunchy which is a major plus. Other than "flake" cereals, I cannot stand when cereal becomes soggy. Unfortunately this was probably the main highlight of this product. The fruit flavors are not distinct at all and they all just mesh into a slightly fruity artificial flavor. While not unpleasant at all, it just isn't as great as I remembered it. Now that I think about it, I'm quite sure I wasn't even that big of a fan of Trix as a kid so I really shouldn't have had high expectations. I'll put this one in the back of the pantry and work my way through other, more delicious kiddie cereals before revisiting this one. 
The nutrition info is pretty standard for a kids cereal. Pretty low cal, negligible fiber, and fairly high sugar. Im not overly concerned with sugar content but if you have diabetes or something this clearly isn't for you. Overall, its not terrible, but it certainly isn't anything to call home about. If you want a bit of nostalgia, go ahead and pick this up, but otherwise pass this one and move onto other childhood favorites. 


Rating: 5.5/10

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember Trix coming in fruit shapes, but I was neglected as a child. My mom wouldn't buy sugar cereal. Grandma spoiled me, though. I enjoy spoiling my kids and might pick up some of these swirled colored Trix as a treat. They'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure how old you are, but upon my sleuthing, i found out they were originally spheres. then sometime around when I was a kid (90s) they were fruit shaped and a bit more crunchy. Now in the last year or two they switched back to spheres. probably cheaper to manufacture id guess...And a real treat for your kids would be to make these into rice crispy like snack with melted marshmallows. I find that works really well with most cereals, and I think it would be really interesting with a fruity cereal

      Delete