Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: Blue Bunny's 24 Karat Carrot Cake


I was really excited to try this flavor after being so impressed by the red velvet cake flavor (watch for review) also from the "Duff Goldman" line . I had hope that it may even live up to the hype of Ben n Jerry's Carrot cake flavor which unfortunately found its way into the "flavor graveyard" before I ever had the opportunity to try it. When my local shoprite had blue bunny pints on sale for a mere $1.88 each, I knew it was time to sample this offering and I happily tossed the pint into the cart.




Blue Bunny describes this ice cream as "Carrot cake flavored ice cream swirled with cream cheese frosting flavored low fat ice cream and carrot cake pieces". Phew, thats a long description, and as you can see from the picture above there are two distinct ice creams swirled together and possibly a carrot cake piece peeking out in the lower right of the pint. Before I get into the nitty gritty, I must admit Im not a huge fan of real carrot cake (sacrilegious? possibly) but In my opinion this didn't even taste like carrot cake in the slightest. The carrot cake base really reminded me of one of those oatmeal creme pies by little debbies, and the "cream cheese" base was so light and airy It could be mistaken for cool whip. It had no semblance of a cream cheese frosting flavor which was a huge let down. To top that off there were maybe 10 minuscule spongy, tasteless pieces of "carrot cake" in this pint that added nothing but a slight chew to the ice cream. 




The only saving grace of this flavor is that it has extremely friendly macros (nutrition info) and one could easily down a whole pint without much remorse (as I did myself). The whole pint clocks in at a mere 520 calories which is half off what a Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs pint would contain. In closing, I believe this flavor would be better off being called "oatmeal creme pie" or something similar and then maybe I wouldn't have come in with the high expectations I had. I didn't hate it, but definitely didn't love it. Just "meh". Probably won't buy again unless I need a low cal option.
For another bloggers take on this flavor see here.


Rating: 5.5/10


Nutrition info:
Serving size(62g)
Cals:130
Fats: 5g (3g sat.)
Carbs: 19g (14g sugar)
Protein: 2g



2 comments:

  1. Not usually a fan of carrot cake but may need to try this out! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its worth trying. Not gonna be a mainstay in my ice cream stash though. If you see it on sale its worth picking up...thanks for stopping by though, Im a big fan of your blog!

      Delete